I began using a Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 715 pump to infuse solu-cortef as my main treatment for my Adrenal Insufficiency in early 2014.an unorthodox and unexpected way. Also, please note that the use of a pump for Adrenal Insufficiency is very contentious within the medical community. It definitely makes some doctors nervous.I could not publicly announce it when I first started treatment because the door opened up in
The Cortisol Pump Is…
- An alternative way to deliver our life saving cortisol steroids.
The Cortisol Pump Is NOT…
- A plug and play quick fix magical solution.
Professor Hindmarsh’s WorkThe doctor that pioneered this method is Professor Peter Hindmarsh of Great Ormond Street Hospital in the UK. He has done amazing work for improving the quality of life and treatment for those living with Adrenal Insufficiency. A great wealth of resources can be found at his website here. Below are three links from Great Ormond Street Hospital that are useful:
- Circadian Rhythm Dosing
- The Value of 24 Hour Profiles in Accessing Cortisol Replacement in Addison’s
- Using the Pump Method to Deliver Cortisol
- Management of Altered Hydrocortisone Pharmacokinetics in a Boy with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Using a Continuous Subcutaneous Hydrocortisone Infusion. Sinead M. Bryan, John W. Honour, and Peter C Hindmarsh.
- Results of the Prolonged Use of Subcutaneous Continuous Infusion of Hydrocortisone in a Man with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. Emmanuel Sonnet, Nathalie Roudaut, and Verionique Kerlan.
- Continuous subcutaneous hydrocortisone infusion in Addison’s disease. Kristian Løva˚s and Eystein S Husebye.
High Level Summary
- Continuous Hydrocortisone Infusion Bests Oral Therapy for Quality of Life in Addison’s Disease: Presented at ENDO.